Friday, December 28, 2012

The GM 2.8 190 cid V6 a forgotten champion

HAZZARDAYRE TAG 1HAZZARDAYRE PHOOTENOTES

If your into bow tie rides, over the last 10 or so years the 2.8 V6 GM was a great champion. While out of the box, some slight mods get this little beast some serious movement.

I have had two of them, one in a 83 S-dime that was a 4X4 with a slushbox. Problem was the 400 r tranny kept the 2.8 from gaining enough rpm’s to get out of 3rd into a much more potent power band. However in the 4X4 mode, it had just the right torque curve to crawl over some serious terrain. I wouldn’t say the 2.8 is the best engine built at GM, for that the near bullet proof 454 big block is my prize. But In Sylver Myst, that 2.8 performs under some really hard conditions.

The real bummer of the 2.8 V6 is the difficulty of R & R’ing the rear main seal. While its best known that essentially the 2.8 is a GM small block cut off of two cylinders, a small block V-8 is easier to repair that seal. But even though leaking oil, the little 2.8, when needed has always got it done, and with plenty of might. And considering that condition, and the fact mine has nearly 300,000 miles on it, should be a good testimony of the 2.8’s durability, and longevity.

That all in mind, look at any performance catalog, Jegs, Summit any of them, you will not see any real great muscle parts for the 2.8 V6. Oh you’ll see plugs, thermostats etc, but no serious muscle parts.

Headman Hedders makes exhaust parts, but that’s about all.

I’m in search of a serviceable 2.8, V-6 to do some serious building on. Bored open 030 over, valves, roller chain etc, and watch some ass kicking done by an engine GM and most gearheads have discounted for years. Pioneering here? Nuts? Maybe, but then there were those who told me that performance diesel was a fantasy as well. Look whose laughing now?

Testing toes and feet in nylon hose for our models FYI, so be prepped.

Why that? , In my next entry.

As I close want to let you know, with weather and the season, the Knyte’s regular meeting will be next Saturday, at Ziggy’s in Bliss.

Making the deal on the bar and studio office, on Wednesday or so, will report on that next week.

Still need Helen’s sister to call, before meeting Saturday at 1:00PM.

L8R Ya’ll

AYRESIG PROPERHAZZARD AYRE WINGS


Quote of the Day:
Every successful enterprise requires three men - a dreamer, a businessman, and a son of a bitch.
--Peter McArthur
John 14:1-3“[Jesus Comforts His Disciples] “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.”

Brought to you by BibleGateway.com. Copyright (C) . All Rights Reserved.

LOG TAIL 1