Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The golden age of Twiggy and old skool towing

A HOT HAZZARDAYRE HEDDERA HOOKER TOW BLOG HEADER_thumb

Many things to get into, this bright and b e a U t ee full Wednesday.

This morning of course is my first of the month income day. Where one of a few auto clubs deposits money directly into my cash account. Which means grub and Skoal. Nothing much more satisfying than that grand aroma of fresh Skoal original wintergreen , than perhaps the synthetic smell of a fresh new tow truck.

Want to thank this gal I met online through Facebook, by the name of Amanda who writes and editorializes a page group there called Respect Tow Truck Operators. Her page and group, re-energized my determination, dedication and renewed my love of going towing at a time when I was near ready to just restore one or two trucks, hang it up and just go flying to make money. So thank you Amanda.

The day is going to be busy, and in doing my research for tonight's Highway Hooker Radio show, the only show on radio that is dedicated to, produced by and delivered to and by us who tow, I started thinking of why I began putting women with trucks, especially tow trucks.

To understand this, it was at the formation of something that had never been done.

To do away with all the history that many of you already know, it began in 1973 when a few of us who got enamored with a toy called the CB radio. After tuning in on all those big rig freight haulers we too wanted to go trailer trucking. In so doing we as teen drivers were sadly awakened that first we were way too young to be splitting gears of the 13 speed variety, but we still loved trucking. Me more towing.

So I got together with our County extension agent in Gooding, Idaho. Took the best of what was known as the 4-H wheels program, and the 4-H tractor safety program mixed in some other things and in 1974 the TeenAge Truckers Association was born.

After a guy who came to our big CB trucker Jamboree in 1975, the guy was the editor and publisher of the original Overdrive magazine , Mike Parkhurst, who along with my Dad who invited him to the Jamboree, put together the original Independent Truckers Association.

Mike did something outstanding, he took everyday OTR trucks, put a snazzy gal with it and called it the DateMaster, Gina-Yellow-Sweaterso we thought, what’s good for the goose was good enough for the gander. So we as a club put some hot teen era honey’s with our mini haulers and that’s how that started.

After which, such notable industry suppliers like Snap On Tools followed suit

imagesCA0IL4EQimagesCA9GC4NKimagesCADHYIUZimagesCAF7PV78imagesCAHPEKNSimagesCAYB99SP after awhile a few feminazi’s decided that was outrageous and petitioned Snap On to quit the concept. But we in the TTA said phooey we like our dressed out trucks with hot gals. In 1984 at about the time when our now constructed adult version of the Road Commanders Association came together with the only in industry Tow Truck Operators Council, decided to run a gig called Klassic Hookers and Haulers, calendar and video. The Calendar and video, took some of the hottest tow trucks and big rig OTR trucks with some of the areas best gals and in the Mountain West finding those is a challenging project in itself, and did up the vid.

Now then, the word hooker as in tow truck.

I most likely was not the first that coined the word for us in towing. But more likely refined and defined the term, but I first caught the bug with my beloved LexiBelle.

As again Overdrive was one of the ignition sources. I was going for the mail one afternoon. Saw my latest issue of Overdrive. Back then Overdrive put heavy duty tow trucks in when we used the ugly word Wrecker. As in Wrecker of the Month. In there was this dreamy white mid 70’s era Peterbilt from somewhere in Texas called the Happy Hooker, as they titled it. So in a few weeks , I was doing a tow in Boise , met up with a mentor by the name of Tommy N Thompson, who runs TNT TOWING of Boise. He did up some T shirts that had a heavy duty tow truck going one way, a light duty tow truck going the other way with a stenciled model of scantly cladded attire, with the slogan , our hookers handle all sizes. When I finally decided on the formal name of my company, I took the best of all that as this was long b4 all things Hazzard and Dixie and I found each other, but in 1978 I began as Heavy Hooker Wrecker Service. Later trimmed down to Highway Hooker Towing, and our sister company in both Boise and Lewiston Idaho , still runs with that name.

Bringing this in for a landing this morning, my nylon foot fetish in towing.

This happened quite by coincidence . I was doing some research in Utah in looking for some greener fields to plow in towing and saw this Yellow Pages ad for a company in Ogden Utah, called Star Service. Their slogan was, “ We don’t want your arms and legs just your tows.” So that same evening was watching with my young niece the movie by Disney called Cinderella . Seeing the Prince place the glass slipper on Cinderella’s foot , my niece said why don’t you do that? But I wanted some panache to it. So I thought, why not just kiss her toes? Saying we at the Highway Hooker Towing just loves tows. But would anyone understand? So with the help of a video pro in Salt Lake City, and two months of some rather long days of casting and KUTV 2 being one who dared run the ad, we shot the first ad for the concept. Not saying that it was sweet, and while better than a guys feet, womens feet don’t stink, but they can be rather potent too.

Finally, the idea of why I began putting the two words toe and tow, together as toew.

This did not happen until 2009, but should have.

There are those that who are not accustomed to it that will mispronounce the word tow rhyming with the word cow. Rather than saying it as tow(toe). So one of my interns at Confederate Star Media said why don’t you just spell the words together, toe+tow=TOEW. So I did and the gig is history.

But my have we gone the distance. From Twiggy style hot pants and go-go boots to old skool toewing.

Next time, I get together with Hazzard County.

Again want to thank Amanda and her page on Facebook.

More tonight, busy day today.

L8R Ya’ll

my sig[2]DIXIE SHIELD


Quote of the Day:
Speak in anger and you'll give the greatest speech you'll ever regret.
--Anonymous

Psalm 119:114“You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.”

Brought to you by BibleGateway.com. Copyright (C) . All Rights Reserved.
ASS KICKER TAG 1hazzardayre tail 2