Sunday, April 17, 2011

TV REALLY NEEDS REPAIR IS THERE A FIX?

HAZZARDAYRE MASTER cc1

I have been told that I’m much harder on the modern era TV industry than I should be. I have been told as well , that this era’s TV, industry has been hammered both from the poor economy and thus local as well as national TV ad revenue is just not what it used to be. Yet I scratch my head, and think in an era of the technology and the shrinking viewership of modern TV to mobile devices, streaming TV and Internet TV that station and network execs would want to strengthen its presence rather than seeing a continued shrinking market. Even if you have only 1% of the market, 1% is better than none. Which ABC this past week might be cutting its own throat. ABC said they were pulling , “ All My Children” and “One Life to Live” and replacing it with a health beauty show. Don’t we have enough of those with the Doctors, and Dr. Oz. ?  NBC runs an expanded version of the Today show with one old gal who used to counter chair with Regis, and that get’s boring. How about a new idea? Run a show on daytime directed to us male corpuscles? You know, something for us guys not so much women’s topics.  Like how fickle women can be, or how territorial women can be. How about doing topics directed to us male private areas not just about a woman’s vagina? When Spike TV went on the air when it took over what was then The Nashville Network (TNN) which was the sister network of CMT that , thankfully carries our Dukes-of-Hazzard every day, which by the highway is the only reason I pay for cable, the idea of Spike was to be the first network for men. Really? The only show that hazz been retained to the core of Spike TV, is Manswers.

Sunday TV is the pits. I never thought I’d see John Stossel on FoX News Channel, as John was one of the last cornerstones of ABC. In fact TV after 22:00 hours sucks. Used to be there was two late night TV show’s, The Tonight Show with old Johnny Carson , then Jay Leno took that over, and in came David Letterman. Then the FoX channel began Arsenio Hall, and the rage was on. Shortly there after , every washed up celebrity was trying to do a late night comic/interview show. Or Late night variety show. Conan Obrien got washed out of NBC, and now is on TBS. Problem is with so many variety and talk shows, guests are becoming fewer, and interviews becoming worse. Cable TV was to be the saving grace of television. You’d think for a medium that You and I have to pay for, cable TV could give us something for our money, except, infomercials and only a few networks that have anything on that’s entertaining. I know your supposed to be asleep at that time, but damn it if basic and expanded basic is going to just give us garbage, why not offer that free, and charge only for the upper tier or digital HD channels? Let’s face it as far as TV is concerned today, such LPTV networks like RTV, are making a name for themselves by programming things worth watching , things that the whole family can wrap themselves around, and hey LPTV is free OTA ,TV. So then the gripe is not any ad revenue. Have you seen any real creative TV ad’s lately? Give me something for my money and I’d be happy to be an advertiser. Problem is and especially here in our rural area. Creative TV ads are shunned. If your in the Tragic Valley of Idaho nearly 80% of local TV ads are produced, by KMVT-11. With boring abstract infantile jingles and poorer video. Oh and don’t even try to produce a TV ad that has a female pitch girl on it. Hong Kong Phooey, the local TV stations and Cable-One here will never air it. Reasoning is, that it’ll piss off the Mormons and/or the Mormons will boycott other business’s advertising on that station and or the station itself.

I have talked to , too many business’s that are even owned by Mormons that they too would like to see more creative , even humor aimed commercials.

Is there a fix? Yes, but such fixes are still at the drawing board. Such innovative TV networks like Confederate STar Tv , plus I’d like to see RTV (Retro TV) get on cable. Then there are satellite TV channels that should be on cable but are not. Like RFDTV to name one. Nope, according to Cable-One’s execs, the Return on Investment is not there. Excuse me? RFDTV as well as RTV would be welcomed even locally supported if it was on the local cable system. Even Mormons would support both those networks, because they are family and rurally oriented. And yet the local idiots will not budge. Yet Cable-One is so against local competition, they will hammer even a smidge of another cable system. The war between the mini Cassia’s local network and Cable-One is starting to get serious. Even though Rupert’s cable system offers many of the channels, in the basic and expanded basic tier that Cable-One offers in their upper tier. FOR MORE MONEY!!!

Now as I close. A few weeks ago my tiny laptop computer swallered a virus. So I took it to this outfit in Twin Falls , called Microchips. They got out the virus okay but most of my computers drivers and such are hammered. If I repair a car or truck, and I make a goof, I own up to it and usually will refund my labor charges. And allow my customer if he or she wants to, to take it elsewhere. Not Microchips. I tried to get Microchips to refund part of the $130.00 I paid them, to no avail. In an era of tight budgets, and all , retaining customers ought to be worth doing the right thing. I wish the outfit that was once in Mountain Home although I dislike that town terribly. But there used to be an outfit there, across from where the local Sprint Cell Phone dealer is now. I took a old desktop to them in 2000 for repair due to a virus issue. Not only did they tune up the computer, but installed a bigger fan to keep the processor cooler, but a aux power supply, and a new processor. From AMD. The computer was better than when I took it in, And it only cost me the same $130.00 . I wont be going back there again, and if you respect your wallet, you shouldn’t either.

Until L8R Ya’ll Have a great week.

cm sig my blog sig


Quote of the day:
There is an evil tendency underlying all our technology - the tendency to do what is reasonable even when it isn't any good. - Robert Pirsig

1 Corinthians 1:18“[Christ Crucified Is God’s Power and Wisdom] For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.”

Brought to you by BibleGateway.com. Copyright (C) . All Rights Reserved.

HCC WEB AD a HAZZARD REBEL TAIL

A NEW SOCV LOGO wolfpatch1