Wednesday, June 17, 2015

So where did Airwolf(AyreWolf) join Hazzard County?

I remember it vividly, I had just moved from Glenn's Ferry Idaho the first time, to Jerome Idaho, on the promise of a part time job ushering cattle through the chutes at Producers Livestock Company there, and when that went south, I said there's got to be something different to do here. Still part timing radio I was watching the TV series based on my squadron the VMA214 when I heard overhead two F4U Corsairs fly by. Thinking I was dreaming I went out and checked. As they made their circle for a final on landing, I switched on the scanner and heard where they were to land. So I scrubbed the breakfast I had planned and went out to the Jerome County Airport. I followed the trail of the Corsairs, and found in a medium sized hangar , a place called AirPower LTD, a vintage warbird restoration company . When I got a job there sweeping floors and doing mild duty, I asked John there one day just how much does people pay to buy these birds, he told me and it did not take much to convince me that rebuilding these old aircraft was better than just building bikes or hot rods. So as the Hazzard County Knytes was a way to bring gearheads together, thought was lets bring wingnuts together, to support, what we called BlackSheep Aviation Restoration. It wasn't until mid 2001 when because of the thoughts of a NASCAR truck racing team, I relocated to Utah. My cousin Gordon my other Cousin, Bud took the held financials of the Montgomery Foundation and took the page out of TV and reworded RodeWolf into Airwolf, to because of copyright concerns AyreWolf. The sibling group of the then Knytes-of-Anarchy, became the AyreWolvez Military Aviation Association, and focused on all forms of Navy and Marine aircraft as well as helicopters. Because of that history the idea of doing old fashioned pin up girl calendars as they were in combat history as was done with aircraft nose art etc came about. Yes we revived that, and as they say its history. So that's how Military flight got together with Hazzard County that created in part, HazzardAyre Radio.
TTYLY