Saturday, January 19, 2013

I do what I do because I care for those who tune in the most.

HAZZARD AYRE WINGS  hh toew tymez hedder

Last night I had this guy call in the radio show, and ask the question of , since I don’t get any money doing what I do, radio wise , why do I sweat, and stress over the radio gig?

Because I have been where many of you who tune in to me at night through early morning have been, maybe even where your at right now.

I can remember my first OTR driving job. It was just before Christmas, I had just barely turned 20, and Volco Builders now Franklin Building Supply of Twin, had a load of toilets going to Lewiston Idaho, with a load of fresh cut Christmas trees coming back from GrangeVille.

I got the load of commodes up to Lewiston okay, but coming back , with the trees, one of the worst winter storms I’d have ever been in. Of course there was a trucker style radio show on then, but in those canyons to McCall, no good reception, and even then the warnings of the storm, hadn’t gotten to those trucker shows back east until 4:30 AM, meaning by the time I heard about it, I was already through it. I thought there’s got to be something I can do about this.

Then there was the nightmare I relive yearly in my sleep, now thank God, really.

It was just after the New year, 1983. I went on a bull haul run to Wisdom Montana just over the Idaho/Montana line cresting Lost Trail Pass.

Mel, Roy, and I and another had just ate in Salmon, Idaho. We was getting rained on pretty bad but paid it no mind, Got right about the first 1/4 mile up Lost Trail, when Mother Nature decided to snow. And I MEAN SNOW, 2-1/2 to 3 inches and hour. Chains helped but we were using three railers and more just to get up the hill. We finally did, got loaded and headed back down, but in the heavy effort, burned out the diaphragm of my injector pump. I could run at 50 miles an hour, and no idling. Our little convoy was a bit tired, and stopped in Spencer Idaho in the parking lot, Mel got in the back, and all snug, here I sat up front, with a foot on the pedal keeping the engine going to maintain the heater in sub zero cold. Here’s something strange. We were parked in the parking lot of an LDS Church, and the only thing on the radio was LDS Conference, but even the powerful KSL 50,000 watt signal was scratchy. And while I marveled at the music from the LDS Choir, I thought isn’t it a shame, there isn’t another station near here with a repeat of conference and music that came in better. What if there was a radio station geared towards us OTR drivers that combined biblical teachings, and preaching with great songs of Jesus, that was directed to us truckers? That’s two examples but I think your getting the idea.

Then there was that haul I made from Utah to Idaho Falls one year. 80 head in a triple deck bull wagon. Inside dual on the front bogies flat. The trick, without unloading all these bulls, to pull those tires, put a spare on, and haul into at least Downey, as I was stalled between Malad and Downey, snow at least two inches and pounding down. I got it done, but only to get in the truck to hear some of that tribal hip hop rap shyt. I wanted at least Waylon or Conway Twitty, not that jack me up crap. I needed smooth calm me down tunes. Thought was how come there ain’t a station near here with somebody in the booth, who knows just what a white knuckle night like this is all about on the road and playing something accordingly?

That’s why Dixie Diesel Radio was born, that’s why Highway Hooker Toew Trucker Radio was born. And why I do what I do. I’m here delivering for those who deliver for and flat deliver this nation, the American Trucker, and the American Independent Towing Professional. That’s why I’m here.

So then the detractors say why women? Hey guys like a soft, velvety female voice when stressed. The other reason I need a second seat is, simply, what happens if I’m in my time period on the air, especially in winter, and Big C, hollers about needing me, or I get a call to my own company for a tow call? What am I supposed to do? Shut down the station and leave ya’ll high and cold? Bullshyt.

Sure I can go to network, but what about storm warnings or road closures? You need to know that when it happens, but if I’m on a tow call, I’m not in the studio, so can’t tell you what you need to know.

So having the female second seat solves the problem. Thing is not everybody can do this, the way we do it. And two due to recent incidents, I need to pick people who are acceptable to SAMCRO MC, The Knytes and ultimately YOU. The club now mandates 3 to 6 months of probation none paid internship, training and on air. No more, no less.

So to answer, Inspector Gadgets question, I do what I do because I care for you who tune me in the most, the American Trucker. And I’ll do it as long as I can, even if I never get paid.

However, bills do crop up, and we do need to raise some money to stay on air.

How we plan on that, next entry.

L8R Ya’ll

hh toew tymez heddermy sig{3}


Quote of the Day:
There should be no yelling in the home unless there is a fire.
--David Oman McKay
Matthew 7:12“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.”

Brought to you by BibleGateway.com. Copyright (C) . All Rights Reserved.
koa5 HAZZARD TAIL 1_thumb