Thursday, January 17, 2013

Like milking cows, both radio and going towing has no days off.

HAZZARDAYRE TAG 1DIRTY TOE NEWS1_thumb[1]

In my end of the world at only 17 degrees out, with everybody else frozen, there are no days off going towing.

Somebody always needs me. While it would be grand to delegate the duties , I’m pretty much a one guy one truck operation. So if snow, cold or otherwise to feed me, its go tow.

Then of course there’s the radio gig. Nobody or very well damn few people no matter gender who is going to jump in the Wolf’s Lair here to do a radio show or two, or go out and beat down the bushes trying to get other business’s to contribute to the cash stash by buying ad time, even if it’s the lowest cost there is.

I do have to interject something here, and it’s a formula, that a friend of mine in Burley uses on his station there. People who want to be on his station to host a program, pays him an hourly rate , and gets ads on their own to support their shows. Zeb Bell, Steve Minton, and others pay old Kim, roughly a $100.00 an hour for 4 to 6 hours of air time each day to fill his day parts. Zeb comes in at 08:00 AM goes until just before noon, then Steve comes in from 1:00PM to about 5:00PM every day. Cept Saturdays. Now figure that’s near $1,200.00 a day, times 5 $6k a week, or $24k a month. And all Kim does is pipe in the shows since both Zeb and Steve do their shows from their homes. Hey the do radio from their houses, maybe its because their older and married, right? Any mile that’s not a bad formula. Makes damn good money, maybe something we ought to do once we move this to Buhl.

The rest of the time, between engineering duties which are never ending in radio or broadcasting, administration, dealing with the FCC and other agencies, day off? I’d like one.

The only relief I get is trucking back with a good long distance toew on back, tunes going and the old truck singing through those lake pipes. If we’re lucky I get one day out to do domestic chores . And you think your day gets complicated.

Saw on a page on Facebook, something on I love Tow Trucks. Nobody loves this business and industry nor has anyone in these parts done more for this profession more than I have. Not bragging but who else can say they created a radio station to preach and defend the industry? Who else can say they helped write a lien law that helps toewers all over Idaho today. Who else can say they went to the halls of this states legislative bodies and testified for the rights of us in towing? Who else can say they have been barking about unfair and politically motivated rotation and other laws that hurt the small fleet towing owners/operators?

Okay over time that radio station has added the cause of defending the rights of our southern heritage and our rebel spirit. To tell the story of the Confederates from a factual and proper way. But deep on those, is the right to tow.

Granted I’ll say that at first observations people look at me as a bumb. But lets look at this a bit further.

The Flying J company was started in part by efforts of my Mom and Dad. The yearly profits were divided up between initial investors. Those payments made life where I looked like Little Lord Fauntleroy. When Flying J went nearly bankrupt there went my dividends. While still in the recovery stage, If I ever see the entire amount is anybody’s guess. But here too, I lived like a great ruler for many years. Snap of a finger and all too many got more than they deserved. But it was my fingers doing the snapping. Then came the cunning females. Loving the Old Wolf here, as long as I was putting out the money. Minute I said its my turn, get to know me they were gone.

With the end of my last marriage I decided that , I would look to be and live as lean and all as a church mouse, people would have to get to know me, not just what I had to give the materially. On the surface, I would maintain the look as just and not detracting from that, but look as only a mechanic and tow trucker who did a radio thing as a hobby.

Then came late November 2012. With a near heart attack, vclub said get some help. Right? Here? Doing what I do, who would do that?

So one of the club members said float a thing on CraigsList might pick up someone, that’ll train for a month or two get to know what we’re all about to take some of the weight off my back.

This is a sad thing though when one looks at it for Twin Falls.

Out of 8 people, only one has stuck with the idea, of being willing to train. The rest, just because its in my house, decided that it’s a ruse to lure women in to do the unthinkable. However would it have been any different in say a full blown studio? Just as much unthinkables can happen in a 10X10 studio as it can in a 5X5 studio in a house in the middle of Twin Falls. Only thing missing from one is a bed. And even when we did have the big studio in Gooding I had a couch, so I could catch some sleep on those long nights.

Must have been somebody doing something hinky and kinky long before us, in this way that got all too many nervous.

Guess we can’t see ourselves as others see us, but I don’t look at doing radio any different than somebody going to a farm house looking for work on a farm.

Any mile that’s all going off point, but only to a point. I can remember several good tow services that started and several that still run out of a private home. Johnny’s here in Twin was ran from Johnny’s house, Jim Wilson who started Custom Towing out of Pocatello started and still does run the majority of his business from his home, Marvin who runs Jakes Towing out of McCammon Idaho, runs his out of his house, the list could go on, but who cares? Nobody’s virginity or lack thereof has ever been threatened or challenged by me or any part of the club’s business.

But just as it was in November, I still am doing the majority of everything myself, out of my shack on my own. Until I see a helluva lot more of a reason that’s where it’ll stay outside of what is already aimed at Buhl in a few months. Even then, for the most part, it’ll be me, in LiL Lexi hauling over there doing the shows, as best as I can and hauling back. But know what, the place will do just as it does now, house the Transmitter and STL(Studio-Transmitter-Link) between Twin Falls and there and I do my radio show from the Wolf’s Lair. By myself on my own, just hope Sylver Star will be on board in the interim.

Day off? Right. I haven’t had a real day off in 25 years. And like milking cows, going towing or doing radio is my gig in life and that means no day off.

More over night,

HAZZARD AYRE WINGSpappys ayre sig


Philippians 2:14-16“Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain.”

Brought to you by BibleGateway.com. Copyright (C) . All Rights Reserved.

ayrewolvez logonew tail