Saturday, July 20, 2013

If it ain’t a Holmes I ain’t driving it

TOEWJAMB

It started with a Holmes 220 mechanical, then to a 440 Holmes then to my sweet Holmes 500 on the back of LexiBelle

>Lexi in greenI used to see Holmes on everything, toewing. Two owners of what then were solid large toew services would no more run a Zacklift or a Vulcan if their life depended on it. Johnny (Johnny’s Towing-Twin Falls Idaho) said it simply, if it doesn’t have Holmes on the nameplate I ain’t driving it. That set in my mind too. Considering how many trucks others have went through, my mid sized 500 Holmes keeps bringing home the groceries.

However with the launch into plastic and aluminum cars and sport trucks not to mention SUV’s the Holmes nameplate kind of faded. Although still made as a subsidiary of Miller Industries, Holmes is joined by its stable mate Century, and a bunch of smaller manufacturers that banded together.

You can ask dealers, other toew bro’s and others what happened to Holmes, the answers go from no longer important, not as much diversity as to style and new products, yet Ernest Holmes was responsible for creating the entire toewing industry as we know it.

Research online is a bit scarce. You can Google Holmes tow trucks and you get the factory, or some EBay listing. But never something like a new product, although still made, the Holmes 600R is an example. Dating back to its split boom kin the 600R is a mid sized rotator, that can handle most RV’s and mid sized trucks, the 220 Snatcher is a quick pick repo rig, the 440SL still a champion in its class, so why don’t we see more Holmes out west? More over why don’t we see more Holmes in the Mountain West.

Of the many projects that go on very silently, the Rode Knytes Association the Toew Operators subsidiary of the Knytes-of-Anarchy is to bring back that proud nameplate as well as preserving the brand name.

To wit, The Rode Knytes is looking to opening a toew equipment dealership and supply house in Pocatello, in 2015. Selling only Holmes and Century.

But why the disconnect of operators ?

More research continues, stay tuned.

In lighter news Highway Hooker Radio returns full force , however it wont be until mid month November. Production on the new series along with its TV counterpart, on Confederate Steele TV, is taking longer than anticipated.

The major hurdle from my vantage point is, the discovery of me having type 2 diabetes, due to both weight and stress, means I have shortened my life span a few years. Guess that thought of me punching out at 89, might be a bit less. The fact that the thing will kick my butt long before then, so I figure 40 more good years, means I’m grabbing all the gusto I can, getting things done, and not wasting any more time in a dead end village, Twin Falls stopped being a city, it now is a village. What stunted Twin Falls’ growth? That’s hard to determine. Its not like Twin Falls ever had a growth mentality, but it seemed for a short spell that Twin Falls got a spurt and we saw something shift in the wind other than the stench from Dairy farms. Don’t get me wrong agriculture is vital to us all we have to eat. No eat, die, too much eat die as well, but the economics of Twin Falls has concentrated squarely on farm and farm supply. As Big C, and my dad always said, don’t put all the eggs in one basket. Diversify, we in Twin Falls need technological as well as industrial growth, not simply farm supply or farm product processing growth. The fact that the sewer and water system can’t any longer support additional large scale growth is one thing, low educational levels of area schools, infrastructure, and the fact that Twin Falls is known as the Crack capitol of the west, and thus owns the title of Tweaker Flatts, where 80% of the population is on, probation for some violation attached to crack and meth, means Twin Falls ain’t going to exceed growth. As I get older and this diabetes sheds years off of my life, if I’m to achieve anything in my life, I need to be in one of two places as my core being is toewing, especially with outdated but still able equipment, but being where the need is there but long distances and response times for and from competitors is long and thus I can get called or, where the population is of such that its large enough with the volume that warrants buying or going into debt for new equipment. The ideal situation would be , being where both of those conditions meet. I found three and keeping quiet on both. But that said, when I buy new it’ll be a Holmes, like Johnny, said it, “If it ain’t a Holmes , I ain’t driving it.”

L8R Ya’ll

my dixie sig 


Quote of the Day:
An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.
--G.K. Chesterton
1 John 1:7“But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.”

Brought to you by BibleGateway.com. Copyright (C) . All Rights Reserved.

knyte scarHEAVENLY TAIL